Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Jar of Butterflies


I am so glad summer is almost here! My house is finally feeling set-up, with only a few minor things left to do. Which means I can spend more time enjoying the beautiful weather. 

I made this butterfly jar as part of my summer decor.  It's a super simple project.

To make it you will need:

A large jar
rock(s) and stick(s)
fake butterflies
fake grass
hot glue gun
optional: Brown acrylic paint and paint brush (not pictured)
                 pencil and/or long tweezers


First off paint the lid to give it an aged look. While the paint is drying hot glue bits of 'grass' to your rock(s).



I also glued a butterfly onto one rock. Then strategically place/drop the rocks into the jar.


Haha, this is where the tweezers and pencil comes in. My opening wasn't big enough for me to drop them in properly and maneuver them at all so I used the pencil and tweezers to flip things around and place them where I wanted.

Then I glued the other butterfly onto the twig and place it in between the rocks. I just let it stand freely, I didn't hot glue the stick in.


Twist the lid on and you've got a jar of butterflies for display.




 I have had this idea in my head for a long time. I am so glad I finally finished it (not that it took long). I actually painted the lid last spring and was waiting to find the perfect fake grass for cheap (which I found at the dollar store a couple of weeks ago).

On another note, this past weekend my sis and her family were here for a quick visit which was lots of fun. And today I'm doing laundry and packing for my New York trip this weekend (SO excited!). Hope to have some scheduled posts for ya while I'm away.

Happy Tuesday!






linked up:
Sugar and Dots